Born in 1970 - France
K-narf is not just a photographer he is more like a “photography maker”: with non-professional digital cameras, portable inkjet printers and packing tape he re-invents the traditional photography to create an imaginary and néo-vintage photographic world.
Since the early 2000 he integrates into digital photography the principles of "BRICOLAGE"; a contemporary art movement that highlight the process of hand making with available tools and materials from hardware or office supply stores and affiliated to the “Arte Povera”, the “Ready Made” and the “DIY”.
Since his first exhibition in 2001 in Tokyo K-narf had many solo-shows in Australia, France, Singapore, USA and Italy. Amongst other places his work has been shown at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Scottsdale (Arizona, USA), the Museum of Sydney, the Japan Foundation for the Arts, The Yves Klein Archives, Issey Miyake in Paris as well as a solo show during the Arles international photo festival.
Through the years, K-narf often got support from key figures of the art world such as Teruo Kurosaki (Idee, Tokyo), Rotraut and Daniel Klein-Moquay (Yves Klein Estate), Joel Meyerowitz (pioneer of contemporary color photography), Jacques Attali (French writer), Olivier Gay (Architect & Art collector) and Yoichi Nakamuta (curator & Art producer). He collaborates on regular basic with established Art galleries including the Clic gallery in NYC, the 0fr gallery and Molin Corvo gallery in Paris or the Clear gallery in Tokyo. He moved back to Tokyo early 2014 and created his own gallery/atelier in the heart of the Nakameguro.
- "MAD LOVE" at Museum of Art & design, Singapore, Jan 2015 during ARTSTAGE.
Group show with Daido Moriyama, Wing Shya, Yonehara, Madsaki, Kishin Shinoyama.
- Setting up of "K-narf X 0fr.": K-narf artist studio/bookstore/gallery/café in Nakameguro.
Tokyo, May 2014
- Artist residency at the Westminster Roppongi Hills.
Tokyo April/May/June 2014
- improbable project #4: "diner improbable", one night installation & exhibition with galerie Céline Moine.
LYON, Jan. 2014
- "JE FAIS CE QUE JE VEUX" exhibition at 0fr gallery
PARIS, Dec. 2013
- "K-STORE" online gallery/store. Launch during FOTOFEVER Photo Fair at the caroussel du Louvre.
PARIS, Nov. 2013
- "BEST REGARDS FROM PARIS" exhibition at CLIC gallery
NYC, Oct. 2013
- improbable project #3: "diner @ Yves Klein Archives", one night installation & exhibition.
Paris, July 2013
- improbable project #2: "le bar", exhibition & installation during a three weeks ephemeral pop-up bar/lounge.
Paris, Oct / Nov 2012
- "Hazardous Material", 3x10m outdoor photograffiti wall installation. co-produced with "images et portraits".
rue Charlot, Paris, Oct. 2012
- improbable project #1: "the diner", one night installation & exhibition at the Yves Klein Archives in collaboration with E. Penagini
Paris, Oct. 2012
- "From Photograffiti to Cinéstatics" solo exhibition at P.A.R.O.S.H gallery
Milano Italy, Sept. & Oct. 2012
- "A LA VIE, A LA MORT" 3 week exhibition-installation as a photographic battle with E. Penagini
Arles, Juillet 2012
- "YUMMY YAMI" solo exhibition at FB gallery
New York USA, Apr. & May 20112012
- "WONDERLAND TRIP" solo exhibition at CLIC gallery
New York USA, Nov 2011 / Jan 2012
- “K-NARF JAPAN SERIES”(solo exhibition at Traffic gallery
Bergamo Italy, Nov 2011 / Jan 2012
- Group show at the P.A.R.O.S.H gallery
Milano, Dec. 2011 / Jan. 2012
- “PHOTOGRAFFITI” solo exhibition at Ugo Ferrantei gallery
Rome, Sept / Oct 2011
- "WONDERLAND TRIP" solo exhibition at the P.A.R.O.S.H gallery
Milano, June / July. 2011
- "SIMPLY THE BEST AND FUCK THE REST" solo exhibition at the MUTT art gallery
Milano, June / July. 2011
- "WONDERLAND TRIP" solo exhibition at the A. Helion & Clear gallery
Paris, Apr / May. 2011
- "WONDERLAND TRIP" installation and live performances as part of the VENDUTO art project. (15 Artists, 1700m2 of former Milano post office, 7 DJs: one night).
Milano, Nov. 2010
- "WONDERLAND TRIP" solo exhibition/installation at ISSEY MIYAKE rue Royale, Paris
Paris. May 4th to June 20th 2010
- "10 photographes, 10 Japon" group exhibition, IFJ (franco-japanese Institut).
Tokyo, May 2010
- "D'UN MERCREDI A L”AUTRE", (group show) photograffiti installation at the French Embassy in Japan
as part of No Man's Land art project.
Tokyo, November 2009 to February 2010
- "WONDERLAND TRIP", (solo) two days work in progress session & Book launch at CLEAR GALLERY
Tokyo, October 2009
- "SUKEBE", photograffiti series presented at the Agathe Helion Gallery
Paris, September 2009
- Glaceau POP-UP gallery, (upon invitation of Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham from KDA) group exhibition/installation
Tokyo, August 2009
- "Tokyo-Zoo" (déballage photographique #9) solo exhibition/installation at the Salon, Cinéma du Panthéon
Paris , July 2009
- "[Kyudo]graphy #2", Solo exhibition at Maison des Arts Plastiques Rhone-Alpes
as part of biennale “Lyon ville d'Art et de soie”, curated by Regard Sud gallery.
Lyon , December 2008 / January 2009
- "LA NUIT AMERICAINE", solo exhibition at Claudio Colucci Studio.
Tokyo , November 2008
- "Don't be so Tatemae, Mrs Honne!" (déballage photographique #8)
solo exhibition/installation at ARCHIVES YVES KLEIN
Paris , June 2008
- "Call Me Beauty!" (déballage photographique #7) solo exhibition/installation at Le Garage
Paris, July 2007
- "&LMJLO" solo exhibition at Chapel Jules Cesar, Rencontres Photographiques d'Arles.
[invitation from HP as part of "The Influencers & Mentors program"]
Arles , July 2007
- Outdoor banner: 3x8 meter visual with 4 photographic sequences exhibited on the wall of
the Chapel Jules Cesar, Bvd des Lys during the Rencontres Photographiques d'Arles.
Arles , July 2007
- Selected works presented as part of the Klein-Moquay collection exhibition,
Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Arts Phoenix ( USA) .
Arizona, Feb. 2007
- "24/7" 12 pieces of work especially sold on auction in aid of the micro-credit charity Planet Finance.
Project created by Mr. Jacques Attali (writter and former French presidential advisor) and Frank Le Petit,
the support of Mr. Maurice Levy (President of Publicis Group) and Mr. Pierre Cornette de Saint Cyr (auctioneer and Vice-President of the Palais de Tokyo).
Paris , Oct. 2006
- 4 pieces of work commissioned by the Klein-Moquay collection to be presented at the Van Gogh's museum in Amsterdam.
- "Déballage photographique #6" solo exhibition / installation at the SICAM factory,
St-Etienne (France), July 2006
- "Déballage photographique #5" solo exhibition / installation at Ariel for the Neo-Photo book Launch,
Sydney, Apr. 2006
- "Déballage photographique #4" Typo-Sequence, solo exhibition / installation at Artazart gallery,
Paris , December 2005 to January 2006
- "Néo-Photo" book launch and solo exhibition at Artazart bookshop
Paris , Nov. and Dec. 2005
- "Aerofoto" photographic installation for DesignEdge conference
Singapore , Nov. 2005
- "Global-Local" group exhibition at Object Gallery for Sydney Festival [Object foundation & British Council]
Sydney , Jan. to Feb. 2005
- "[Kyudo]graphy" solo exhibition at the Japan Foundation Gallery in Sydney.
Sydney, April to May 2005
- "Déballage photographique #3" solo exhibition / installation at Sandrine et les ferrailleurs.
Paris , July. 2005
- "Trampoline", contemporary photography screening at the Vallhala cinema.
Sydney , Apr. 2004
- “Surry hills” commissioned photo-sequences for the OBJECT foundation.
Sydney , Aug 2004
- "Visual journey" commissioned photographic series for AGDA's awards book.
Sydney , Aug. 2004
- "Photo wrapped in design", Artless group exhibition at Rocket gallery. Collaboration with Shun Kawakami.
Tokyo, Sept. 2004
- "Déballage photographique #2" at the artist's studio.
Sydney, Dec. 2004
- "Déballage photographique #1" solo exhibition / installation at café des Mimosas.
Paris , Dec. 2004
- "Kimono flows", installation at the Museum of Sydney.
Sydney , Dec. 2003 to Apr. 2004
- "One hour photo", group exhibition at First Draft Gallery.
Sydney , Jan. 2003
- "Bookiji", Image installation at Kinokuniya.
Sydney , Apr. 2003
- "Sydkyo", solo exhibition at Superdeluxeand 62 m2 Gallery.
Collaboration with japanese manga illustrators: Hiroshi Matsuna, Issei Sugita, Kizuku Takada, Nobumasa Takahashi, Takeshi Hamada and Yutaka Onozawa
Tokyo, July 2003 / Sydney Aug. 2003
- "Kimono Flows", installation at Montaok in Omotesando.
Tokyo , Oct. 2003
- "62m2 by parisydneytokyo", a 6 months temporary gallery/ installation space dedicated to his work in the middle of Sydney’s creative district: Surry Hills.
Sydney , May to Oct. 2003
- "Video sequence" for the 10th anniversary of the Japan Foundation for the Arts.
Sydney , Nov. 2003
- "Beyond what you see", Group exhibition at Photo-Technica Gallery.
Sydney , Nov.2003
- Tokyo designers block: image animations for “Sputnik Space line”. Tokyo , Oct. 2002
- "Bouquet of images", installation at Sputnik PAD. Tokyo , Oct. 2002
- "The red and newspapers", exhibition at Sputnik PAD.
Tokyo , Nov. 2001 to Apr. 2002
Before 2001 :
K-NARF studied architecture and set up his own int. Design / architectural practice in Paris for 6 years. His clients were mostly French celebrities. He was not even 28 years old when he completed two major television studios’ architectural & interior design projects: “Comédie!” & “L'EQUIPE TV”. He slowly moved form architecture to fine art photography and visual art when moving from Paris to Sydney to Tokyo.
_ BOOKS (monography)_
- « WONDERLAND TRIP », photograffiti by K-NARF.
Clear Edition, Tokyo. Distributed in Japan and France (Sept 2009)
- "3,4,5... IMAGES/MN". 100 page monography. Limited edition of 400 copies numbered.
Upon invitation by HP as part of "The Influencers" program during the Rencontres Photographiques d'Arles, July 2007.
- NEO-PHOTO, “Carte blanche” from IDn-Pro publisher, released Nov. 2005. Distributed worldwide.
St-Etienne - France [1970/1991]
Marseille - France [1991-1992]
Paris - France [1993-1999]
Sydney - Australia [1999-2000]
Tokyo - Japan [2000-2002]
Sydney - Australia [2002-2007]
Tokyo - Japan [2007-2009]
Mauritius Island [2009-2010]
Tokyo [since early 2014]
Guaranteed deliveryby specialized carriers
Secure payment by credit card or bank transfer
Free returnswithin 14 days
The best prices Negotiated with our partner galleries
"Artsper gathers the best of art galleries in the world. I can therefore select art pieces from the comfort of my home with total peace of mind."
"Artsper's advisors helped me pick an artwork and were exceptionally reactive when I followed up on my order.
"Artsper has the broadest and largest range of accessible contemporary artworks. My painting from Jonone bought on Artsper is a daily delight."