Born in 1974 - France
Mickaël Doucet was born on July 30, 1974. He lives and works in Paris.
The paintings from the series "Villégiatures" (Resorts) by the French artist Mickaël Doucet present the interiors of contemporary villas that are temporarily without their inhabitants. Somewhat enigmatic objects left behind here and there, lead the viewer to a story from his own imagination. The juxtaposition of current images and fictional representations encourage the viewer to hide between the two.
Thus the viewer is immersed, from both the narrative and the pictorial perspective, halfway between the past and the future. The pictorial harmony of each canvas reveals both contemporary phases with designer objects and historical settings with landscapes influenced by the Flemish painters. This strange perception accentuated through work on the perspective, the full and the empty magnified by swimming pools in an opposite way to David Hockney, strengthens the sense of alienation we feel in his art.
The same sensation is found in the series "Philomates" where the viewer struggles with the visual codes around the perversion of a situation. Rather than painting suffering and its representation, Mickael Doucet balances his work iteratively with three elements, namely a chimpanzee, one or more manufactured goods and a molecular model of human DNA with an apparent softness that strengthens the subject matter around the notion of freedom, emancipation or progress. The last painting in the series "Philomates" leaves the viewer speechless. Is this chimpanzee holding the keys to progress or freedom ?
Mickaël Doucet’s paintings challenge the certainties of those who work with them, including:
- Pierre Cornette de Saint Cyr, the most well-known Parisian auctioneer, who selected a painting from the series "Villégiatures" entitled "Le jour au fond d’une serrure" for the online art site, Artsper.
- Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres, former French Minister of Culture and Marie Duffour, Curator at the event "New Blood! Borrowings and citations in contemporary works." In the words of the curator: "The composition of the painting "Une fois l’été passé" by Mickaël Doucet and especially the treatment of space is reminiscent of the paintings of Edward Hopper. The artist positions himself in front of a fragment of space filled with visible signs, and represents it. There is a simplicity, even a certain banality, in the choice of the subjects here within a contemporary interior."
- Sarah Ihler-Meyer, historian and art critic at Art Press: "The rigorously composed paintings by Mickaël Doucet show the "deserted resorts" with their notably modern architecture from California. Better known for their photographic reproductions than for their real experience, these interiors are full of dreamy melancholia."
- The Solo Project Basel, Galerie Charron
- Kunstmesse Frankfurt, Galerie Charron
- California Dream, Espace Cardin, Paris -Text of Sarah Ihler-
Meyer,historian & art critic at Art Press
- Art Up Lille, Galerie Charron
- Offline, les Docks, Cité de la mode et du design, Galerie
Charron & Artsper, Paris
- Villegiatures, Galerie Charron, Paris
- Selection of a painting from the series Villegiatures entitled
"Le jour au fond d’une serrure" for the online art site, Artsper
by Pierre Cornette de Saint Cyr
- Espaces libres, Galerie Charron Paris
- New Blood ! Borrowings and citations in contemporary works : Curator Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres, former French Minister of Culture & Marie Duffour, Arstper.
- DDessin, Paris
- Fondation Rosenblum collection & friends, Paris
- Parallax art Fair, Londres
- Terra incognita, Galerie Charron Paris
- A.A.F Bruxelles, Galerie Charron
- Lille Art Fair, Galerie Charron
Follow Mickaël Doucet ! Receive by email the new artworks of the artist.
Guaranteed deliveryby specialized carriers
Secure payment by credit card or bank transfer
Free returnswithin 14 open days
The best prices Negotiated with our partner galleries
"Artsper gathers the best of art galleries in the world. I can therefore select art pieces from the comfort of my home with total peace of mind."
"Artsper's advisors helped me pick an artwork and were exceptionally reactive when I followed up on my order.
"I have always been passionate about art but I find myself lacking time to visit art galleries. Artsper allows me to develop my own collection easily."