Born in 1983 - France
Two letters to summarize the phenomenon that has hit photography in the XXI century. Two letters that cover the walls everywhere around the world, from the Favelas of Brazil to the Upper East Side of New York. Only two letters, that mean a lot: J and R, JR.
From his real name Jean-René, JR is a young photographer born in Paris in 1983. He has done many street art projects, all of them monumental, whether by their meaning or by their surfaces.
In the beginning, it was through graffiti that the artist entered the world of street art, but in 2001 he found a camera in thesSubway in Paris and immediately started taking pictures. Everything that surrounded him became a source of inspiration, a phenomenon that will persevere and develop.
JR's dinstictive artistic touch lies in his creative process, gigantic photo collages depicting individuals in black and white. They are giant in size and in technique. To create his wall projects, the photographer surrounds himself with a team of 15 specialists, from visual artist to performers.
His predilection for large format can not be explained only by an aesthetic choice, it is also a way for the artist to draw attention. This way everyone can see it, there is no need to go to the museum to be surrounded by works of art. In order to appeal to the publics' emotions, JR uses his public as the principal part of his works. His portraits are not without foundation, they approach current societal issues and reflections about our identity, a recurrent subject on the works of the artist.
In 2008, he is remembered for what he did at the brazilian Favelas "28 Millimeters, Women Are Heroes" where he pasted huge photos of the faces and eyes of local women all over the outside of the favela covering whole blocks of houses with striking faces. A year before, the photographer had already made a remarkable work with "Face 2 Face" where portraits of Palestinians and Israelis were pasted face to face on the dividing wall between the two cities in conflict.
Recently, it is the Pantheon and the Louvre where JR attacked. In 2014 he dressed the Pantheon with portraits of passersby, continuing with his artistic line but with a hint of demagogy what he was blamed for. Finally, in 2016, he did his finest trick, he made the Louvre pyramid dissapeared, making us dream of a better and crazier future.
SOLO SHOWS & INSTALLATIONS (selection):
- "Project for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games", in situ installations, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- "JR at the Louvre", temporary installation, Musée du Louvre, Paris, France
- Projet pour la Galerie des enfants, Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
- "Ghosts of Ellis Island", Galerie Perrotin, Hong Kong, China
- "A Survey Exhibition", HOCA, Hong Kong Contemporary Art Foundation, Hong Kong, China
- "Uprising - An Inside Out project", Centro de Arte Contemporaneo, CAC Malaga, Spain
- "Unframed : La Voix du Nord", Lille, France
- "DECADE. Portrait d'une génération", Galerie Perrotin, Paris, France
- "JR", Lazarides, London, UK
- "JR Black and White Night", Nuit blanche, Toronto, Canada
- "JR's Picture Show. 24 Frames per Second", The Watari Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo, Japan
- "ELLIS", Pop up exhibition & screening, Orchard Street, New York, USA
- "ELLIS", Pop up exhibition & screening, Miami Design District, Miami, USA
- " The Standing March", COP 21 Project, JR and Darren Aronofsky, Paris, France
- Au Panthéon!, Paris, France
- "Unframed Ellis Island"; permanent installation in Ellis Island, New York, USA
- "JR", Museum Frieder Burda, Baden-Baden, Germany
- "Close up", Magda Danysz Gallery, Shanghai
- Power Station of Art Museum, Shanghai
- New York City Ballet, New York, USA
- Contemporary Art Museum, Dallas, USA
- "JR" Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati, USA
- Permanent installation at Friche de Belle de Mai, Marseille, France
- "JR", Watari Museum, Tokyo, Japan
- Inside Out Project, Times Square
- "The Wrinkles of the City", Action in Berlin, Germany
- "The Wrinkles of the City", Action in Cuba, USA
- "Pattern", Galerie Perrotin, Hong Kong
- "Inside Out Project", Action in Haïti
- "Wall & Paper", Galerie Perrotin, The M Building, Miami, USA
- "Encrages", Galerie Perrotin, Paris, France
- "Inside Out Project", Action in Brooklyn, USA
- "The Wrinkles of the City", Action in Los Angeles, USA
- "Women are Heroes", Installation at Ile Saint-Louis, invited by Pavillon de l'Arsenal, Paris, France
- "Women are Heroes", Casa França Brazil, Rio di Janeiro, Brazil
- "Women are Heroes", Action in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- "Portrait of a Generation", Installation at The Tate Modern, London, UK
- Installation, invited by The Rath Museum, Geneva, Switzerland
- "Women are Heroes", Action in Brussels, Belgium
- "Women are Heroes", Action in Slum of Kiberia, Nairobi, Kenya
- "Women are Heroes", Action in Favela Morro Da Providencia, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- "Women are Heroes", New Delhi, Action in Jaipur, India
- "The Wrinkles of the City", Action in Carthagene, Spain
- "Face2Face", Action in Tel-Aviv, Jerusalem, Ramallah and Separation wall / Security fence, Israel-Palestine
- Installation, Paris Town Hall Square, Paris, France
- Installation, La Maison Européenne de la Photographie, Paris France
- Installation, Espace des Blancs Manteaux, Paris, France
- "Portrait of a Generation", Action in Les Bosquets ghetto, Montfermeil, Paris, France
GROUP SHOWS :
- "Post No Bills: Public Walls as Studio and Source", Neuberger Museum of Art, New York, USA
- "Tu dois changer ta vie", Tripostal, Lille, France
- "Open Source: Engaging Audiences in Public Space", Philadelphia, USA
- "Bonjour la France", Seoungnam Art Centre & Goyang Culture Foundation, Seongnam & Goyang, Korea, Curated by Sunhee Choi, Korea
- "#Street Art, l'innovation au coeur du mouvement", Fondation EDF, Paris, France
- "L'amour atomique", Palais des Beaux Arts, Dinard, France
- "Happy Birthday Galerie Perrotin / 25 ans", Tripostal, Lille, France
- "Choices", Magda Danysz, Shanghai, China
- "Festival Images", Photobooth installation, Vevey, Switzerland`
- "The Wrinkles of the City" Biennial of La Habana, Cuba
- "Art & Toys - Collection Selim Varol", Me Collectors Room, Berlin, Germany
- "Shanghai ! La tentation de l'Occident", Institut Culturel Bernard Magrez, Bordeaux, France
- "Paris-Delhi-Bombay", Photobooth installation at Centre Pompidou, Paris, France
- "Art In the Streets", MOCA Museum, Los Angeles, USA
- "Emirati Expressions", Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- "Les Rencontres d'Arles", Arles, France
- "Viva la revolucion : A dialogue with the Urban Landscape", Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, USA
- "Festival Images", Elysee Museum, Vevey, Switzerland
- "The Wrinkles of the City", Contemporary art Biennal, Shanghai, China
- Springmann Gallery, Düsseldorf, Germany
- "Les Rencontres photographiques d’Arles", Arles, France
- Venise Bienniale, Arsenal , Venise, Italy
- FOAM Museum of Photography, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- "Les Rencontres Photographiques d'Arles", Arles, France
- "Clichy-sans-Clichés" , Clichy-sous-Bois, France
- Milk, Saskatoon, Canada
- The Orphanage, Los Angeles
- 11 Spring, Mahnattan, New York, USA
83.8 x 106.7
72 x 98
112 x 37
113 x 73
104 x 73
Follow JR ! Receive by email the new artworks of the artist.
Young Talent Experts regard this artist as tomorrow's talent.
Masterpieces This artist is internationally renowned.
Guaranteed deliveryby specialized carriers
Secure payment by credit card or bank transfer
Free returnswithin 14 open days
The best prices Negotiated with our partner galleries
"Artsper gathers the best of art galleries in the world. I can therefore select art pieces from the comfort of my home with total peace of mind."
"Artsper's advisors helped me pick an artwork and were exceptionally reactive when I followed up on my order.
"I have always been passionate about art but I find myself lacking time to visit art galleries. Artsper allows me to develop my own collection easily."